Thursday, January 17, 2013

Half as Pretty and Twice as Drunk.

I figure that soldiers have most in common,
With other soldiers.
And I mean that on both sides,
And I use the term soldier very loosely.

I tried once to run a marathon.
Another time to quit smoking.
Both were foils, so don't hate me.

A big person can make a much bigger mess than a little person,
And it's really all because you got bombed,
So you bomb back,
But it all rests in your investment in their collective pure evil.

And it's nuclear and cancer,
And do you ever just feel that you'd love to see a celebrity,
Marching with a gun, into battle?

But you won't ever see that,
Unless Prince Harry counts,
And who can always really care,
Because they all start but don't ever finish,
And it's definitely better to be a celebrity.

I swear to god I'm not a hippie,
And of course you didn't start it.
It'll never be up to you,
And all people are terrible in a crisis.

But one day it dawns on you,
That you're probably expendable.
It's probably a numbers game and tip-top probably knows,
So there can't be anything glorious about peril,
And you hug the person next to you tighter,
On the nights with the horrors.

I'm telling you,
There's no such thing as a bargain promise,
And we're discussing life and death here,
But I don't mean in the abstract.

We're never going to be able to live in this world,
If we don't start having compassion,
For people who make shit choices.
And I use the term soldier very loosely.



No comments:

Post a Comment